Accepted to LATI!
Lake Area Technical Institute was founded in 1965 as the first technical school in South Dakota and is located in Watertown, a growing town of 21,000 located on the Big Sioux River and bordered by Lake Kampeska and Lake Pelican.
In 2017, Lake Area Technical Institute was awarded the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence, the nation’s preeminent recognition of high achievement and improvement in America’s community colleges. Every employee at LATI plays a role in student success, with the school placing a strong focus on making sure students have clear expectations about their path to a career.
President Barack Obama delivered the LATI commencement address in May 2015 as part of the school’s 50th anniversary celebration.
Of 2016 graduates, 99% are employed or continuing their education. Of those employed in their field, 84% are employed in South Dakota.
- Type of school: 2-year technical institute
- Academic programs: Associate of applied science degree, diploma and certificate programs in 29 areas of study including agriculture, automotive technology, building trades technology, computer information systems, energy operations and nursing.
- 2017-18 tuition & state fees per credit hour: $155
- Individual technical institutes assess local and program fees beyond state tuition and fees. Costs vary by program.
- Find more information on the 2017-18 tuition cost sheet.
- 2016-17 enrollment: 2,061