Founded in 1901, Northern State University is located in Aberdeen, S.D., population 26,000. Aberdeen combines the best of big-city amenities with the warm, welcoming atmosphere of a small town.
Originally known as a teacher’s college, the university is now a multi-purpose institution. The education of teachers remains an important aspect of the university’s statewide mission, as the diverse and highly respected teaching programs at NSU demonstrate. Today’s NSU offers a strong liberal arts and science core. Programs in business, education and fine arts complement the arts and sciences.
NSU sponsors 15 intercollegiate sports. The school belongs to the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference and is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association at the Division II level.
- Type of school: 4-year public university
- Academic programs: Bachelor’s and associate degree programs in the liberal arts and sciences, education and business. Master’s degree programs in education and the fine arts.
- Fall 2017 headcount enrollment: 3,611 (1,490 on-campus; 2,121 off-campus and distance)
- % of students receiving financial aid in FY 17: 86%
- 2017-18 cost information (rates subject to change)*
South Dakota undergraduate student (30 credit hours) Tuition and fees: $8,280.00
Room and board: $7290.90
Annual total: $15,570.90
* Based on double occupancy room and approximately 15 meals per week, the required meal plan for all freshmen living on campus
Office of Admissions